Creating short story requires imagination and also writing skills to make the story more colorful
and enjoyable to read. You can learn and master those skills by joining the Short Story Writing field!
Interested? Challenge yourself in this field to create a wonderful story with your imagination!
Preliminary Round: Prepared Story
- Participants must write a story based on the theme given below:
Break the Barrier Each of us must have our own comfort zone, sometimes become our greatest challenge to moves forward to the next level. Everyone needs to get out of their comfort zone and challenge themselves to beat that old self of them.
- Submit your own story creation via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with email subject:
- THE 2019 AEO – [FULL NAME] - [INSTITUTION] - *Please make sure that the full name and institution in the subject match the one used for registration. - Your story will be assessed by the judging panel, and we will also publish it to The 2019 AEO website for the public to read.
- Below are the requirements for the submission file:
• All submission files must be written in English with the following manuscript standardization:
o 12-point Segoe UI font
o 1.5-spacing with paragraph indents
o 2.54-cm margins (top, bottom, left, and right)
o Minimally 2000 words and maximally 5000 words
o Preferable file format for the submission would be .doc/.docx/.
o Allowed to only submit once. if the participant sends more than once, we will assess the earliest story submitted to the judging panel
o Required to submit the synopsis of the story with the format of .doc/.docx/.pdf.
• The story must include a title page with the following information:
o Title of the story
o Author’s name
o Institution name
The cover page will be removed before judges read the document and they will judge anonymously.
- Specific Rules:
• Participants must submit the story by the latest January 23, 2019, at 17:00 (GMT +7).
• All works must contain originality from the creator and have not been previously published anywhere, accepted for publications, nor been a winner in other competitions; or else if found out, the participant will be disqualified.
• Topics may not contain violence, pornography and racism. Otherwise, judges may (in their discretion) deduct 3 points from the total average of judge's scoring in one round for every violation of rules. Judges may also disqualify a writer for gross misconduct or ineligibility.
• The committee will have the right to publish participant’s story to all media.
• Please make sure that your contact details are entered correctly on the online form – this is to make sure that we can contact you if your entry is chosen as the winner or for publication.
• Participants who pass to the final round will be announced on January 31, 2019.
• The committee will contact the winners via email.
• The decision of the judging panel is final.
Final Round: Online Story Writing
- For the final round, you will start it online through the Google Docs provided by the committee. You will be given time to create a wonderful story based on the short story given by the committee. It is the time to show your creativity and hasty skills in writing!
- Short Story Writing Final Round Rules:
• The final round will be on February 2, 2019.
• There will be a simulation for final round on February 1, 2019.
• Each participant must stand by at least 15 minutes before the Final Round starts.
• The committee will give the link of the Google Docs for the participants to prepare their story.
• Participants will be given 3 hours to create their story.
• The committee will give the short story for the participant to continue in the Google Docs.
• Topics must not contain violence, pornography and racism. Otherwise, judges may (in their discretion) deduct 3 points from the total average of scoring in one round for every violation of rules. Judges may also disqualify a writer for gross misconduct or ineligibility.
• The committee will have the right to publicize the participants’ stories to all media.
- Timing Of SSW Final Round:
• Timing will begin with the first word written by the participants, which will include any other writing activity such as typing.
• Participants must stop typing after running out of the performing time. Otherwise, points will be deducted if the participants continue, unless the participants are finishing the sentence.
• Participants will be informed regarding their remaining time of performing.
- Winner Announcement & Rewards:
• The announcement of the winners will be posted on aeo.mybnec.org at February 15, 2019.
• The rewards will be transferred to the winners within 7 days after February 15, 2019.
Bina Nusantara University
Jalan Anggrek Cakra No.1A, RT.4/RW.6, Kebon Jeruk, RT.1/RW.9, Kb. Jeruk, Kota Jakarta Barat, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta 11540